Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wall Drug - land of mystery and enchantment







The second half of our day's journey through steamy South Dakota landed us in Wall Drug. The town is called Wall, but then there is this mysterious and wild place called Wall DRUG. Saloons, Knife shops, Western art galleries, and totally-authentic souvenir shops line a "western downtown" block. As I watched a 12-year-old who was on vacation with his family play Big Buck Hunter outside a gift shop, I thought to myself "this is how wild the west once was." The town thermometer read 102 as we strolled down main street and I enjoyed a peach ice cream, served to me by a Macedonian student on a work-exchange program.
Wall Drug has a mascot - a Jackalope. Don't ask me how or why, i couldn't tell you, but I snagged this shot of Jackson mounted atop a life-size "Super-lope". As we took a gander at hundreds of knives and switchblades in one shop, Jackson found one he liked...an "iridescent" steel blade. The guy behind the counter called it "rainbow." Difference of opinion.

After we gave the van a rest we poured fresh coolant in the radiator and transmission fluid in the gas tanks to help prevent vapor-lock. I think that's how you type "vapor-lock", this has got to be the first time I've ever typed that word.

As the bike rally "Sturgis" is approaching, we ran into many motorcycle enthusiasts. A bunch of bikers are actually camping around us in the Black Hills currently. Love the purr of those engines.

No comments:

Post a Comment