Sunday, August 7, 2011

Early Morning Santa Fe





Once we left South Dakota our next stop was Denver for a day. We visited Eric's uncle Mike, aunt Dawn and cousin Justin. We got in late friday night but Saturday was packed full. We got the tour of downtown Denver as well as Boulder, and the Red Rock Amphitheater, an impressive and historic outdoor concert venue. I was surprised to hear that Denver is much more sunny and mild then I expected, with moderate winters and pleasant summers. We also learned of all of the efforts to convert the city entirely to renewable energy by 2030. Each place we visit gives me more of a reason to come back. I enjoyed my time immensely for the brief period I was there.

Due to continual car trouble and a new tendency to vapor lock we decided it would be best to drive at night. This is far less strenuous on the van and allows us to drive a little faster than 50 mph. Just slightly though. We left for Santa Fe last night around 8 pm and despite having encounters with a stag, coyote, and rabbit crossing the road, we made it about 50 minutes outside of Santa Fe by 3:30 am. A brief nap was needed and then we woke at 5:30 to get some shots of the desert at sunrise. I then continued the drive and now I'm sitting in starbucks regenerating with a coffee and breakfast sandwich while Eric rests in the van.

Santa Fe's roads are very narrow and the "Southwest" aesthetic is exactly what you would expect. Little stucko cottages in warm tones. I think we're going to try and check out some galleries and then figure out where we will stay for a night or two before we head to Albuquerque. 20 Days until the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment